Farm lease agreement
A lease that creates a farm tenancy under property law. Suitable for terms between 6 months and 60 years. There is strong protection for the landlord with 62 tenant's covenants, but the tenant is treated fairly.
- Solicitor approved
- Plain English makes editing easy
- Guidance notes included
- Money back guarantee
About this farm business tenancy agreement
This lease creates a farm tenancy agreement. It is comprehensive with a choice of 62 positive obligations and restrictions on the tenant to ensure that the land is used as the landlord wishes. The term of the lease can be between 6 months and 60 years with regular rent reviews.
The law in this document
This documentcomplies with property law.
If the use of the property is for non-agricultural business use, such as tractor repair and storage or feed merchanting, use a Agricultural lease: private grazing or non-agricultural business use.
When to use this lease
This document should be used if:
- All or part of the land is farmed for trade or business throughout the tenancy
- The landlord and tenant exchange notices at the beginning of the tenancy saying that the agreement is and will remain a farm business tenancy
- The circumstances of occupation suggest that the character of the tenancy is primarily agricultural
“Agricultural”refers to using all or part of the property to grow plants (crops) or rear animals with a view to sale. The scale of the business is not important: the same tenancy laws apply whether the property is a commercial dairy farm with hundreds of acres of pasture, or 10 metres of poly-tunnel under which a prize garden plant is cultivated.
Farming encompasses all sorts of businesses, from those growing crops in fields (including grass, hay or silage), to those where the crops are grown in an orchard or under glass (e.g. rhubarb or mushrooms), to those where the "crop" is an animal (e.g. lamb farming) or a product derived from animals (e.g. milk). Keeping animals (e.g. grazing horses on the land) in itself is not an agricultural business but horse breeding is. A garden centre is not an agricultural business, but plant growing is.
Change of use may be anticipated and will not necessarily disqualify the agreement, if notice has been served. The lawdoes not make clear how far diversification may go. However, it has now become clear that peripheral or additional business operations will not prevent a tenancy from being a farm tenancy, for example, operation of a farm shop or a camp site. In any case, any diversification of use other than farming is likely to require the consent of the landlord.
Examples of tenants who might use this lease include:
- A wheat farmer renting additional land
- A dairy farmer renting the land and outbuildings
- Someone grazing animals on the land
- Someone running a horse stud as a 'hobby' business and using the land or buildings for keeping horses
- A brewer who grows the apples on the rented land and makes the cider in an outbuilding
- A plant grower who sells his plants from a building on the site
- A mushroom grower using one of the outbuildings to develop a new breed for commercial sale
Document features and contents
This lease comes with a menu of over 62 options to empower or restrict the tenant. The terms have been carefully considered to protect the landlord's interests while remaining fair to the tenant. The document has 23 sections and 3 schedules, which include:
- The farm tenancy
- Rent and other payments: including further payments and interest on late payments
- Rent review
- Tenant's positive obligations and restrictions: a menu of 62 items
- Assignment: tenant may not assign the lease or sublet the property
- Redundant buildings: not required to be maintained
- Tenant's fixtures
- Insurance: choice for the landlord to be responsible, or for the tenant to be responsible
- Access for the landlord
- Indemnity: tenant indemnifies the landlord
- Termination: including notice period, and events at and after termination
- Guarantor: essential if the tenant is a company
- Other matters
- Schedule 1: rights reserved
- Schedule 2: redundant buildings
- Schedule 3: tenant's incoming fixtures
This document was written by a solicitor for Net Lawman. It complies with current Australian law.
What other customers thought
Average customer rating
By Jon Warren 04 April 2017
Excellent service. Simple to use, good instruct with document and a query answered in half an hour by email.
By Moawed Ghaly 04 July 2016
It is well written in plain English and covers all the major issues.
By Paul Golding 17 June 2015
The document was easy to follow allowing me to delete information that was not relevant. From sale to arrival of product was only minutes and it was written in plane language.
By Martin Kuhn 30 March 2015
The document was exactly what I was after.
I had little concern with using Net Lawman as I I was able to view the document to determine its suitability, prior to purchase.
The most important feature of the document was that it was linked to the Act and common law, making it a more robust document than the one proposed by the realestate Agent involved in Lease Agreement.Secondly it gave me flexibility to modify it to suit the circumstances better.
The document covered scenarios that I would not have thought of myself. and as such proved to be valuable.
The document also came at a price that was considerably cheaper than requesting this service from our family solicitor.
Yes, I would recommend Net Lawman to others. Affordable, efficient and flexible enough to meet my needs.
By Keryn Povey 23 January 2015
As with any legal document a bit confusing at the beginning but once I started on it it was very well put together. Went online & found your website after looking though others I was satisfied with yours.
Most important was Tenant's positive obligations, Restrictions on Tenant & Schedule 1.
I now have a secure lease in place.
Yes I would recommend.
"Loved it mate, was in somewhat bitter dispute with ex partner, loads of expensive meetings nothing sorted. Got your form, edited it up sent it over -bang, signed, sealed and delivered in 10 mins. Excellent"Ken Warren, Director The Golden Bough
"This site is a great idea.. This makes legal forms so much faster and cheaper!"FEM Productions, Australia
"Used for business and personal documents - good service; in fact .... Great Service!"Engaged Projects