- Solicitor approved
- Plain English makes editing easy
- Guidance notes included
- Money back guarantee
About this agistment agreement
This agistment agreement is a contract for one party (the agistor) to assume responsibility for the maintenance and welfare of another party's livestock in return for payment.
Agistment can cover a wide range of situations from simple arrangements such as grazing and basic shelter to full offerings of services including breeding and nutrition. Agistment can be a useful management strategy during a dry season as it offers the benefits of:
- avoiding the need to sell livestock
- avoiding the need for supplementary feeding
- maintaining a breeding nucleus (especially if the animals are mixed with those of another client)
- providing better feed for livestock
- spelling pastures, allowing them time to respond after the dry season
Agistment may be arranged by a brief discussion. However, verbal agistment agreements rarely plan for problems such as veterinary care or disease, non-payment by owners, or the need to relocate animals in emergency. Nor is there any record of what was agreed if there is a dispute. If a dispute does arise, the terms of a verbal agreement can be hard to prove.
The Department of Primary Industries recommends using a written agistment agreement such as this one. Using one makes sure that both owners and landholders are aware of their rights and obligations from the start, and a thorough agreement can reduce the likelihood of problems later on.
The law in this agistment contract
This contract uses common law. It follows the guidelines set out by NSW Department of Primary Industries.
When to use this agistment agreement
- For use where the owner is paying the agistor per head of animal for grazing and other services
- Suitable for professional agistors to use as a client contract
- Drawn for cattle, but could be easily amended for sheep and other livestock
- For short term and longer term contracts
Agreement features and contents
- Description of the livestock
- Fees: including failure to pay and interest
- Owner warranties
- Veterinary call out
- Right of lien
- Obligation of the agistor
- Other miscellaneous paragraphs to protect your interests
This document was written by a solicitor for Net Lawman. It complies with current Australian law.
"I've used Netlawman twice (my business is in Australia) and both times I've found them to be very knowledgeable, patient, and to give considerable thought to the details of the agreements I needed developed.
I will be using them again for a variety of future projects and I highly recommend them for any business looking for high quality, affordable legal document solutions. "Clive Liebmann
"We found this site ideal for us, as we are just setting up this franchise and this legal contract allows us to get started signing up districts when funds are currently sparse."Jimbos photo booth
"Clear info and documents. just to fill in some info and ready to use. Great!"E.Fiore